I once taught a class entitled “How to Make a Perfect Cookie.” During the class, a woman raised her hand and asked, “Do you have any healthy cookie recipes?” “No.” I replied. “My philosophy of cookies is that they are for enjoyment. They should be eaten sparingly, but when eaten, they should taste fabulous.” I hope that you too will find my “Freakishly Delicious Gluten Free Cookies” fabulous.
- 1 cup Butter flavor shortening
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Canned Milk (or milk substitute)
- 4 cups Gluten free flour w/xanthan gum
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Corn Syrup
- 1/2 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 cups Cashews
- 1 1/2 cups Toasted Shredded Coconut (optional)
- Shortbread Cookie Base
- Mix together the dry ingredients and set aside. TIP: always spoon your GF flour your measuring cup as it tends to pack.
- Cream the sugar and shortening. Add eggs one at a time and then the rest of the wet ingredients.
- With the mixer running, carefully add the dry ingredients.
- Press dough into a greased 10x14 baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 20 min.
- The cookies will be pale and should be taken out of the oven when they begin to brown slightly around the edges. Let cookie base cool and firm up before topping- about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Chocolate and Nut topping
- Mix ingredients together and set aside.
- Caramel Topping
- Mix all ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5-6 minutes on high. If you like a harder caramel, microwave a little longer.
- Pour over the top of the cookie bar base and spread with spatula clear to the edge.
- Immediately pour chocolate and nut toppings over the top and press down lightly.
Faux Samoas: Toast 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut and sprinkle over the caramel layer instead of the chocolate and nut topping. Melt about 1/2 cup milk chocolate and drizzle over the top. Girl scouts eat your hearts out!
Faster Caramel - use a tub of apple dipping caramel rather than making your own
Cinnamon - add 1 tsp to caramel ingredients before microwaving.
Gluten-full - (I included this one for all your jealous glutenous friends). Replace gluten free flour with regular flour in the base recipe or make another cookie base by stirring together 2 white cake mixes, 4 eggs, 2/3 C oil and then pressing it into the baking sheet.